Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The RAF Childrens School

When I was young I lived in Naples Italy from 1960 to 1963. I attended three schools: Forest Sherman Junior High, Notre Dame International in Rome and the RAF Children's School. The RAF Children's was located on the campus of the Allied Forces Southern Europe Headquarters (AFSOUTH) and located behind the facility theater. I located a picture of the building as it is today.

In the coming days I will add pictures from my family archives recently digitized.

The Head Master was Flight LT Ron Tucker. He was likely one of the best teachers in my life if not the one I remember best.

This Blog seeks to document what I know and can recover from my memory and family archives. I invite anyone who attended the school to send me an email and become a posting member of this blog.

I recall my class was small but little of the names of my fellow students. Anyway here are the ones I remember from the 4th form:

Peter Kay
Christopher Tucker (had a twin brother whose name escapes me)
Christa
Felicity Knight
Daphne
2 girls from Iceland
A tall fellow from Scotland

There were 4 houses: Hanover (Green badge), Stuart(Red Badge), Tudor(Yellow Badge) and Windsor (Navy Blue Badge).

It seems wrong that the World Wide Web should have no record of this school and the experiences shared there.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on creating this blog. My goodness - the memories. I was Susan Gates then and have copies of several of the photos that Daphne providded. I was so happy to fill in some of the names that the senior moments had erased! I remember most of the people very clearly. Even Peter Kay, whom I fear was bady picked on - I hopw it didn't scar him for life! So many questions...Jaque, did you have a brother there too? Does anyone know what has happened to any of the rest of us? Would love to re-connect....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the text a little more thoroughly ... Forest Sherman High ... do you remember Molly Morton?

    ReplyDelete